Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Red State: One Showing on 9/25

It's rare that I ever post about anything I wouldn't be caught dead at. But I'm always happy when Louisville lands a limited-release film, no matter what it is.

Arty Louisvillagers complain about the fact that many indy films pass us by.  And soon, Dreamland Film Center may answer those Louisvillagers' prayers. But I lived in New Orleans for eight-plus years; and it's a considerably bigger and superficially more arty city, with almost the exact same draw for indy movies.  One quasi art house cinema-- Canal Place-- in the Quarter, which is currently showing Planet of the Apes, The Help, The Debt, Sarah's Key, and Midnight in Paris. Sound familiar? Yep, that's pretty much what's playing at Baxter now.

I'm not saying that there isn't cause for complaint and room for improvement. But a lot of the smaller indy films do make their way to Louisville. Remember Roommate's comical dust-up with Magnolia Films? Another Earth-- still playing at Baxter, go go go-- and The Big Uneasy?

Oh hey, what was the point of this post?  Right-- limited release movie that I want to promote but would never see...

September 25th at Baxter Ave Theater, Red State, Kevin Smith's controversial political horror (those two words go together now better than ever) movie will be screened, followed by Q&A simulcast via satellite and Twitter.  I am not a fan of horror movies, nor am I a fan of Kevin Smith.  But there you go.

No comments: