Monday, December 8, 2008

Good Riddance 2008: You Can't Not Be On A Boat

Rosencrantz: Do you think Death could possibly be a boat?

Guildenstern: No, no, no… Death is “not.” Death isn’t. Take my meaning? Death is the ultimate negative. Not-being. You can’t not be on a boat.

Rosencrantz: I’ve frequently not been on boats.

Guildenstern: No, no. What you've been is not on boats.

I just went through this very same discussion with my students the other day when we were talking about "Crossing Brooklyn Ferry" by Walt Whitman. You can't "not be" on a boat because even if you're totally still, even if you're asleep, even if you're dead, if you're on a boat, you're still moving. (technically, I said, you could be docked and not moving and I get that; it's the thought that counts) We'll have this same discussion when we talk about Huck Finn next semester-- not only are they on a raft and therefore always "be-ing," the raft is rudderless, so they're at the mercy of the stream.

Thought I'd interject some philosophy/lit into the discussion.

What better way to begin a new year than to be NOT "not be-ing" on a boat??

The Spirit of Louisville Riverboat is hosting a New Years' Gala from 10p-1am. Includes dinner and costs $55. Doesn't sound like there are any drinks involved. I have seen talk of live music in regards to this, but I haven't been able to find out who.

http://www.belleoflouisville.org/schedule/cruisedetails.php?cd=1459

Pros: Profoundly symbolic

Cons: Probably a lot of grannies-- I do love grannies, though

No comments: